header/navigation

LLLHeader2
Lavnav2_v4

Monday, January 16, 2012

Book Review: Little Bee by Chris Cleave

LavStar LavStar


I passed this book up a few times in the store before I finally committed and purchased it in paperback. The blurb on the back cover was pretty cryptic...

littlebee

"We don't want to tell you too much about this book. It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless, you need to know something, so we will just say this: It is extremely funny, but the African beach scene is horrific. The story starts there, but the book doesn't. And it's what happens afterward that is most important. Once you have read it, you'll want to tell everyone about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens either. The magic is in how it unfolds."

You see why I passed it up previously... Unfortunately, I can't say I enjoyed this book too much. It was just a chronological telling of the events in the two women's lives. Yes, they did get brought together under extraordinary circumstances that temporarily had me turning the pages, but that was a brief perk unfortunately.   

Perhaps the women's emotions and struggle was communicated through metaphors, or the lengthy comparisons to feelings you get at other times and places, but it just wasn't working for me. It felt shallow.

I'm sorry to say, I don't think I'll be lending this one out to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment