I can't say I was too disappointed! I used my basic pie crust recipe and recipe for apple turnover filling then baked them up. They get a little crumbly when you bite them so have a plate ready, but of course good pie crust is supposed to be light and crumbly!
Apple Pie Pops
This makes about 6 - 8 pie pops
1 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups water
2 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon water
- Combine the lemon and 2 cups water in a large bowl. Place the sliced apples in the water to keep them from browning.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drain water from apples, and place them into the hot skillet.
- Cook and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, and cinnamon, and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- Stir together cornstarch and 1/2 tablespoon water.
- Pour into the skillet, and mix well. Cook for another minute, or until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat to cool slightly.
2 1/4 cups butter flavored Crisco
1/4 plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Egg white for wash
- Cream Crisco in stand mixer until smooth.
- Add boiling water (I just heat in the microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 min in a heatproof measuring cup) and slowly stir on low, increasing speed as water is absorbed. Then whip until smooth
- Whisk together flour and salt.
- Add to Crisco mixture slowly until dough clings to beater and "cleans" the side of the bowl
- Preheat oven to 425 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Prepare an extra sheet that won't go in the oven, but you'll use it to sprinkle sugar on the top circles.
- Roll out pie crust and use a biscuit cutter to cut out circles that will be the back of the pie pops.
- Place circles on cookie sheet and place lolly pop sticks so they run most of the way through the pop. Leave just enough room from the edge as you will need to seal.
- Press the stick slightly down into the dough.
- Spoon a bit of apple filling into the center of each pop, looks like this!
- Cut out what will be the top circles for your pie pops and place them on the extra cookie sheet.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Transfer the pie tops to the pie pop bottoms, and gentle seal around the edges with a fork.
(Note: If you place the tops directly on the bottoms and sprinkle with sugar, the sugar that misses the pop will burn as they bake!)
- Bake for 25 - 35 min or until tops start to brown.
- Allow to cool completely on cooling rack!